If rappers attended UC Berkeley, these would be their majors

Jacky Lu/File

The Clog is taking over as the temporary admissions board and has just admitted your favorite rappers to UC Berkeley. Your major is about to get an unexpected addition this fall.

Jay-Z – Haas business

As professed on his feature in Kanye West’s “Diamonds From Sierra Leone,” he’s “not a businessman” but a “business, man.” Having dabbled in a bit of everything from founding his own record label and music streaming service to creating a clothing brand that rocked the turn of the century, Jay-Z is a shoo-in for admission into the prestigious undergraduate program.

Kendrick Lamar – Political science

With raps about the prevalent social injustice happening in the United States, a controversial topic few dare to touch upon in their songs, Kendrick Lamar’s Pulitzer Prize win for music is well-deserved. As a political activist, his understanding of real world governmental and societal issues makes him a star student in the field of political science. He’s not afraid to take his opinions outside the classroom by using music as a new means of political reform and consistently giving back to his community.

Kanye West – Media studies

Quite the avid social media user and common topic of the press, Kanye West has become a connoisseur of modern-day media and knows just how to grab your attention. From riling up drama in TMZ’s newsroom to posting long video rants while walking through Chicago to his Instagram following, West is everywhere you look. You’ll never be able to guess his next Twitter post or Instagram video. I mean, even when he hates on media, he receives praise — he can’t go wrong!

Travis Scott – Astrophysics

On Trippie Redd’s “Dark Knight Dummo”, Travis Scott made it known that Astroworld is more than just his widely acclaimed album — it is his planet, as well as his home. With plenty of experience from creating his own little world, Travis makes a great addition to the Astrophysics major. If you listen carefully in lecture, you may be able to hear his famous ad lib, “It’s lit!” and rejoice.

Drake – Psychology

Does Kiki love him? That’s the age-old question that we’ll never solve, but one thing we do know is that Drake is not afraid to express and explore his innermost feelings. It comes as no surprise that his song “In My Feelings” has become the song of the summer. He’s no stranger to discussing his former flings and relationships and the effects they’ve had on him. No topic is off limits, from his own childhood to his secret love child.

Gucci Mane – Nutritional science

Upon release from prison in 2016, Gucci Mane showed off a much slimmer and fit physique, reportedly losing 75 pounds with his no-carb diet and intense exercise routine. Through his own healthy body transformation, Mane has adopted an interest in studying and researching nutrition. His understanding of eating better has vastly contributed to improvements in his rap career and his fashion game, and he hopes to spread similar benefits to others with his studies.

Desiigner –  Linguistics

At times, it can be hard to understand the Brooklyn-born rapper, but that’s only because he’s the founder of his own language, currently spoken by one but on the come up with more and more mumble rappers gaining popularity.

Logic, the rapper – Logic

Need I say more?

Be sure to keep on the lookout for these new star-studded students in your classes this semester.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected].