Cal men’s golf senior named Pac-12 Golfer of the Month

Joshua Jordan/File

For the third time in his collegiate career, Cal men’s golf senior Collin Morikawa has been named Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Month for September. He previously received this recognition in March of 2018 and 2017.

Morikawa is fresh off a strong junior season, as he was named Golfweek Men’s Player of the Year and ranked No. 1 by Golfweek/Sagarin and Golfstat for the 2017-18 season. He also broke a 14-year NCAA stroke average record previously held by Wake Forest’s Bill Haas by averaging 68.68 for the year. Currently, Morikawa is ranked No. 2 in the Scratch Players World Amateur Rankings and No. 3 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking.

This award represents a solid start to his senior season for Cal’s undisputed leader. He competed for the World Amateur Team Championships with Team USA in early September, where his eighth-place showing out of 215 golfers helped Team USA secure a second-place finish. At the OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational, he placed second overall as he led the Cal team to a third-place team finish.

In his most recent match, Morikawa contributed to Cal’s victory over Stanford as he and fellow senior Cindy Oh won their matchup and defeated Stanford’s top team in a two-hole playoff to seal the Bears’ win.

This is the first Pac-12 Golfer of the Month award for the 2018-19 season, and it suggests that Morikawa is in prime position to lead the Cal men’s golf team to the national championship — a tournament it missed out on last season.

“This is a great honor to start off my senior season,” Morikawa said in a press release. “I’ve put a lot of work into my game the past few years at Cal, and I’m excited to put everything that I’ve learned into this last year. It’s still very early in the season, but a strong start to the fall will really give me confidence heading into the spring and the rest of the year.”

Akshara Majjiga covers men’s golf. Contact her at [email protected].