UC Berkeley students named Foreign Affairs Campus Coordinators

The U.S. Department of State named two UC Berkeley students, senior Brian Tsui and junior Chance Boreczky, Foreign Affairs Campus Coordinators for the 2018-19 academic year on Sept. 20.

The campus coordinators will bridge the relationship between campus and the U.S. Department of State, according to a press release. The mission of the Foreign Affairs Campus Coordinator Program is to establish outreach programs and partnerships to inform the campus community about U.S. foreign policy priorities.

Tsui and Boreczky are among 46 campus coordinators across 34 college campuses in the nation, the press release stated.

“This program helps us engage with students across the country, providing opportunities to explain U.S. foreign policy and how the State Department protects the interests of American citizens around the world,” said Kathryn Wellner, senior adviser for public engagement at the department’s Bureau of Public Affairs, in a press release.

As a history major and public policy minor, Tsui said he sees his role as a way to stay in contact with the State Department and make potential jobs in the department seem more accessible to students at UC Berkeley.

“It’s difficult to bridge the knowledge gap — a lot of government jobs fall through the cracks,” Tsui said.

Boreczky, who is a political science major and intended history double major, said he is looking forward to the skills-based aspects of his position. He explained that his position requires a combination of skills: public outreach, social media and marketing.

Boreczky also said he is looking forward to hosting a crisis simulation on campus that all interested students can attend. Tsui added that panel discussions, career information sessions and a book club are among the projects that they are looking to host.

U.S. Department of State spokesperson Melissa Moreland said in an email that Tsui and Boreczky were chosen because of their desire to bring awareness to foreign policy and international issues to campus.

“They would also like to demystify the State Department as a career path for students by sharing their personal internship experience and promoting State Department careers and fellowships,” Moreland said in the email.

Tsui and Boreczky’s involvement in campus organizations have allowed them to explore their fields. Tsui said he is involved in the nonpartisan initiative Strait Talk, which “enables direct political dialogue between youth from both sides of the Taiwan strait.” Tsui is also a member of the ASUC Judicial Council and the prelaw fraternity Kappa Alpha Pi.

Boreczky’s experience includes involvement in the Berkeley Political Review and the professional foreign service fraternity Delta Phi Epsilon.

“(Boreczky and Tsui) are in a unique position to bridge the gap between theory and practice, by providing opportunities for State Department experts to engage directly with students to explain our foreign policy,” Moreland said in an email.

After interning at the Department of State during the summer, Tsui and Boreczky were invited to apply to the position.

“I was very lucky to have a internship at the State Department, and being a Foreign Affairs Campus Coordinator is sharing my experience with the campus community,” Boreczky said.

Contact Julie Madsen at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Julie_Madsen_.