Playlist: New music to check out to start this week the right way

Willow Yang/File

As another busy week comes to an end and another begins, the Clog has got you covered with five new songs to help you start your week off on the right foot.

“Tints” (feat. Kendrick Lamar) — Anderson .Paak

With Anderson .Paak’s new album, Oxnard, on the way, “Tints” offers the first taste of the album for listeners. The track offers tons of cheer, vibrant energy and funk. It’s not the first time .Paak and Kendrick Lamar have collaborated together, previously working on Dr. Dre’s track, “Deep Water,” for the film “Straight Outta Compton” and Lamar’s “Bloody Waters” for “Black Panther.” Whenever the two join forces, it’s guaranteed to be worth a listen.

“Never Recover” — Lil Baby, Gunna & Drake

Although Lil Baby and Gunna may be two artists new to the fame of the hip-hop industry, it’s no secret that their rise is changing the sound of Southern rap and the genre as a whole. Tapping Drake for a feature on “Never Recover,” the song is all things braggadocious. Drake and Lil Baby’s previous collab, “Yes Indeed,” is a good indication of the imminent success of “Never Recover,” with its equally catchy beat produced by Tay Keith.

“Mona Lisa” (feat. Kendrick Lamar) — Lil Wayne 

“Mona Lisa” emerges as the standout track of Tha Carter V, with Kendrick Lamar’s feature providing the extra touch it needs. The song adopts a more narrative tone, telling the tale of a deceptive girlfriend, with Lil Wayne and Lamar serving as storytellers on different sides. Lamar channels a style similar to that of his 2015 album, To Pimp a Butterfly, especially considering it’s rumored that the song was recorded around this time. It’s been a good seven years since Tha Carter IV was released, making the 23 songs of Tha Carter V well worth the wait.

“Boca Raton” — Bas, A$AP Ferg

On “Boca Raton,” the two artists, Bas and A$AP Ferg, both hailing from New York, take a trip down to Boca Raton in Florida. This track screams summer and relaxation with its tropical beat and mention of the popular beach town. Signed to J. Cole’s Dreamville Records, Bas released a music video for the song last month that mimics the joyous and vibrant tones of the song.

“New Patek” — Lil Uzi Vert

Ever since Lil Uzi Vert posted an Instagram clip of him dancing to one of his unreleased songs in June, fans everywhere awaited the day of its eventual upload to streaming services in late September. If you haven’t listened to it yet, it’s incredibly catchy and upbeat, which can always be expected from Lil Uzi.

If you’re looking for a song or two to enjoy throughout the week, be sure to check out these releases for something new.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected].