You oat to make overnight oats: An easy overnight oats recipe

Allison Fong /Staff

I don’t know about all of you, but I never really liked oatmeal. Growing up, I always thought oatmeal was for old people — I mean, who would enjoy a bowl of tasteless goop? But as I’ve grown older (and become questionably wiser), I’ve come to really enjoy oatmeal. What converted me? Overnight oats!

You’ve probably seen overnight oats on social media: Mason jars filled with oatmeal and lots of toppings, such as nuts and fruits. And you’re probably wondering, “How good could it actually be? Cold oatmeal in a jar? I don’t even like oatmeal when it’s warm, let alone when it’s cold.” Because there’s no heat necessary, this is the perfect option if you’re still living in the dorms or looking for a convenient breakfast. 

When you go grocery shopping for your ingredients, you’re probably going to run into a dilemma: steel-cut or rolled oats. Which one do you choose? To be honest, it doesn’t really matter. The only difference between the two is that steel-cut oats are less processed because they are just chopped up groats. Rolled oats, on the other hand, are groats that have been steamed and rolled out. (Not that my opinion matters or anything, but steel-cut > rolled oats — just saying.)

Servings: 1

Ingredients

⅓ cup oats (steel-cut or rolled)

⅓ cup milk (I use almond milk)

½ banana

1 tablespoon chia seeds

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Toppings (optional)

Fresh fruit

Seeds

Nuts

Granola

Honey

Nut butter

First, mash the banana with a fork in your Mason jar. Then, add the chia seeds and cinnamon to your banana mixture and stir thoroughly.

Pour the milk and the oats into the jar and give it a good stir to incorporate the mixture.

Cap the Mason jar and store in the fridge overnight.

When you’re ready to eat your overnight oats, add any toppings of your choice!

Not only is overnight oats an easy and nutritious option, but it’s also totally customizable. Once you have a solid base, you can basically add whichever toppings you want. It’s also super convenient, given the fact that you can make these oats a couple days in advance and grab and go in the morning. (That’s right, you don’t have to skip breakfast anymore because you “don’t have time”!)

Now, get oat of here and go make some overnight oats!

Contact Allison Fong at [email protected].