Recipe: The great British Victoria sandwich cake

Sunny Sichi/Staff

If you watch as much British television as I do, you’ll know how common it is to watch aristocratic families take their tea with a dash of drama and a side of Victoria sponge cake. Now, the British aren’t as well-known for their food as they are for their murder mysteries, but this cake always looked pretty damn good every time it appeared on my screen. So, after watching hours of “The Great British Baking Show,” I made it my personal mission to make my own. On this quest, I found that the Victoria sandwich cake is not too difficult for the inexperienced baker, and the results are also extremely tasty. 

So, with none of the British propriety and all of the American scrappiness, here is my recipe for a perfectly scrummy Victoria sandwich cake.

Ingredients:

Sponge cake

• 4 eggs
  • 1 cup ultrafine sugar
  • 1 cup flour (or self-raising flour)
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder (2 teaspoons if using self-raising flour)
  • 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

Whipped cream

• 1 cup heavy whipping cream 
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar

Double the above amounts if you want to make enough whipped cream for the top and middle

• Strawberry jam or preserve
  • Powdered sugar for decoration

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Grease your round cake pans with butter, canola oil or baking spray.
  3. Add your sugar, flour, baking powder and butter together into a bowl and mix. Once the ingredients have been mixed well, add your eggs and stir until well combined.
  4. Pour your mixture into the bowls evenly and smooth over the tops with a spatula.
  5. Place on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Before taking out your cakes, make sure they are golden and springy when you touch them.
  6. Cool your cakes for 10 minutes before taking them out and putting them on a rack to cool some more. Tip: Don’t put the jam or whipped cream on until the cakes are totally cool. If you’re impatient, cool them in the refrigerator!
  7. Pour your heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar into a metal bowl. Make sure you keep your heavy whipping cream in your your fridge until this step to ensure that it’s cold enough to whip up well. Use an electric mixer to whip your cream together until it forms stiff peaks. Make sure that your whipped cream is very stiff, so it holds itself up when it’s between the cakes.
  8. Take one of your cooled cakes and put it on your serving plate. Spread the strawberry jam on top of this cake, and be generous! Then spread your whipped cream on top of the jam, and place the second cake on top of this. If you’re concerned with appearances, make sure to stack this cake with the top side up.
  9. Finish it off by sprinkling powdered sugar on top with a sieve. Or, if you want to get fancy, double your whipped cream and use the other half to decorate the top.

Contact Sunny Sichi at [email protected].