Inspirational ‘GOATs’ of UC Berkeley and their majors

Ariel Hayat/File

UC Berkeley didn’t earn itself the title of being one of nation’s best colleges without having a few trailblazers to grace its student body. While there are tons of influential alumni and students who have walked this campus, the Clog presents five role models, who started their early careers right here and truly embody what it means to be a Berkeley “GOAT,” or “Greatest of All Time” (not to be confused with the literal goats in the Berkeley hills).

Marshawn Lynch

Major: Social welfare

Holding a Cal football record for the most 100-yard rushing games with a total of 17 under his belt, Lynch has solidified his spot as one of the greatest running backs, not just for the Golden Bears, but also for the National Football League as well. As the star running back for the Seattle Seahawks, he gained a Super Bowl win in 2014. 

Steve Wozniak

Major: Computer science

As one of the co-founders of Apple, Steve Wozniak’s name is forever ingrained within the tech industry for his revolutionizing development of Apple I and II. As a transfer student to UC Berkeley in 1971, Wozniak, in just over a decade, was able to create a company that went public in 1980, instantaneously skyrocketing him to millionaire status.

Chris Pine

Major: English

While it can be challenging to remember all the people named “Chris” in Hollywood right now, Pine is arguably the most talented with a discography filled with diverse roles. Although Pine has starred in high-profile films from the “Star Trek” franchise to the Oscar-nominated film “Hell or High Water,” the actor had humble beginnings in plays at Zellerbach Hall.

Peter Smith

Major: Physics

Graduating from Cal in 1969, Smith has gone on to work on the Pioneer Venus and Pioneer Saturn missions, which mapped the surface of Titan, Saturn’s largest moon. Smith’s 2003 mission went on to become the first Scout mission to Mars. He currently works at NASA as a part of the New Frontiers OSIRIS-REx mission, with the goal of launching a spacecraft to collect asteroid samples to answer further questions about the solar system.

Edith Head

Major: French

Holding the title of “most Academy Awards won by a woman” with eight to her name, Edith Head remains a pioneer of costume design. Edna Mode of “The Incredibles” is largely inspired by her, but her legacy transcends Pixar’s iconic character. She redefined the style of Hollywood with her acclaimed work on films “All About Eve,” “Sabrina,” and “Roman Holiday,” as well as with her partnership with notable director Alfred Hitchcock.

At a university with more than 40,000 undergrads and graduate students combined, there’s room for a lot of impressive achievements and unrivaled talents. You never know — you might find yourself with your very own IMDb or Wikipedia page in a couple of years.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected].