An ode to the Berkeley turkeys we all know and love

Isabella Schreiber/Staff

The Berkeley turkeys are relative newcomers to campus. They’ve made themselves at home, however, on Memorial Glade and in the surrounding areas. Whether it be early in the morning when people are rushing to their 8 a.m. classes or in the middle of the afternoon, these birds don’t seem to care — they just keep living their lives without worrying about classes, deadlines or whether or not they will have enough time to eat lunch. This is the life we all wish we had. These turkeys embody the dream and show that campus life isn’t all about working hard.

The birds get to enjoy Berkeley without the stress of UC Berkeley. They might make you notice the nice outdoor spaces that exist independent of schoolwork. Some of you may have already been aware of these places, but for the rest of us, it can be a helpful reminder. These turkeys show that good places exist on campus, and for that, we’re forever grateful.

These turkeys come from the hills, serving as a reminder that the world out there isn’t all bad — there are nice places to forage in the sun. The birds have an explorative spirit that has braved hardship (it isn’t easy getting over all of those fences as you come down the hill) and has been rewarded. They’re living proof that no matter how hard things are now, they might just get better. We all have fences we can fly over.

The turkeys don’t mind if you laugh at their gobbling. They don’t seem to particularly care about what people think of them. They have as much of a right to be here as anyone else — this is a good mindset to take. The birds show that it’s all right to be yourself and that the fences you got over are just as valid as anyone else’s.

These majestic birds are role models for us all. They live their lives not caring about all the little details — they just enjoy living here in Berkeley. This is a lesson we all need sometimes. We at the Clog want to give some love to Berkeley’s newest residents and recognize that they’re having the Berkeley experience we all want.

So Berkeley turkeys, here’s to you.

Your lives we envy,

Walking with your crew.

No tests, no essays, so carefree

It could make us blue.

But you put a smile on my face,

So here’s to you,

But excuse me, I have more work to do.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .