Aminé reels in crowd at Treasure Island Music Festival

Skylar De Paul/Staff

“I go by the name of Aminé, not anime,” is how the young rapper’s iconic set started at the Treasure Island Music Festival. On Saturday night, Aminé took the stage with his DJ in order to bring an energetic spirit to the Oakland audience.

Aminé started the show off with “CHINGY,” performing with a genuine stage personality that his crowd deeply appreciated. His dancing, facial expressions and interactions with his DJ showed how much of a good time he was having during his concert. This was emphasized especially during the song “Heebiejeebies,” when his theatricality was reflected in him acting out the lyrics and stretching his voice in a comical way.

Throughout the show, Aminé shouted, “You’re beautiful!” to the concertgoers and prompted them to respond, “I know” each time. While performing his Billboard Hot 100 hit “Caroline,” he changed the lyrics from “Killa, westside n—a” to “Killa / If you ain’t Black don’t say it.” The performance of this song was a much more laid-back version than the recorded edition, but this lyric swap aroused a supportive cheer from the audience.  

During “Veggies,” the artist sat down onstage and brought an intimate mood to the performance. His grip on the mic was full of emotion, a softer acoustic vibe taking over the set.

The crowd favorite of the night was his mashup cover of classics “No Scrubs” by TLC and “Gold Digger” by Kanye West. He used all the space on the stage, dancing back and forth and interacting with the fans singing the words back at the front of the barricade.

Aminé may not have the most graceful of voices during hype songs, but his messiness adds to the organic energy of his live performances. The laid-back silliness and personality of his show made it all the more fun to be a part of.

Skylar De Paul covers music. Contact her at [email protected]. Tweet her at @skylardepaul.