Alex Cameron wants loveless internet porn addicts to relate with him

Cara Robbins/Courtesy

Chugging along the nostalgia train right after Soccer Mommy was the Australian singer-musician, Alex Cameron. But unlike Soccer Mommy whose reflections on the past were simply that, Cameron eagerly hopped into the DeLorean, punched the coordinates to a cheap, musty motel in the ‘80s and voluntarily threw the keys away.

In both his albums, Jumping the Shark and Forced Witness, Alex Cameron, whoever that may really be, plays a character by the same name who is an anachronistic, self-proclaimed bastion for insecure men who love women but not enough to treat them with respect. And against a backdrop of simple but catchy synths, spacious reverb and, occasionally, a saxophone played by his “friend and business partner,” Roy Malloy, Cameron sings his tales of loneliness.

Before he started his deceptively upbeat song, “Marlon Brando,” Cameron — with his hair slicked back, black sunglasses and a flimsy dress shirt unbuttoned, exposing a white undershirt — shared how the song was a part of his larger investigation into the psyches of the “straight white male.” During this, it was hard to tell if it was Alex Cameron, the artist, or Alex Cameron, the persona, speaking.

In either case, the introduction of “Marlon Brando” — done while maintaining a slight Elvis Presley accent and baritone — suggested that there was a level of self-awareness to this sleazy character when he sang, “And I want to let him know what a p—- he is / And I want to let her know that I bench what he is.” The entire song is essentially a first-person narrative about a man who realizes that he’s an insecure asshole and that he “can’t stop.”

Through vivid lyrics, a simple costume and outdated dance moves that vaguely resembled the butterfly dance, Cameron fully embodied every degenerate old man character he needed to portray Sunday — from the pedophile of “Studmuffin96” to the suicidal entertainer of “The Comeback.”  

But judging from interviews and Facebook posts, it’s difficult to tell when exactly he’s dropping the act and when he’s picking it right back up. The question then comes to this: Is Alex Cameron an asshole, or is Alex Cameron an asshole?

Contact Lloyd Lee at [email protected]. Tweet him at @helloydlee.