Cal women’s golf eager to bounce back at Stanford Intercollegiate

Phillip Downey/File

Cal, Stanford and more… What’s there not to like? This weekend, the Cal’s women’s golf team will participate in the Stanford Intercollegiate in Palo Alto, hoping to improve upon its up-and-down start to the fall campaign.

The tournament will host a variety of Pac-12 teams including USC, UCLA, ASU, Washington State, Oregon, host Stanford and, of course, Cal. The Bears are eager to come out on top of this tournament, as a win will help their confidence heading into the Pac-12 Preview event beginning Nov. 5.

In the Coeur D’Alene Resort Collegiate Invitational, the team’s latest event, freshman Katherine Zhu stood out, tying for an individual second-place finish. Zhu is eager to continue her strong performance at Stanford and prove herself even further in the early stages of her freshman year.

This tournament is Cal’s last before the Pac-12 Preview in Hawaii early next month. The Stanford Intercollegiate will give the Bears a strong feeling for their opponents, as the fall’s primary event takes place just a little more than two weeks later.

Senior Cindy Oh will also look to have a strong comeback after having to surrender a round in the Coeur D’Alene invitational because of a mismarked scorecard on the first day of the event. After placing fourth in the season opener and clutching a victory in Cal’s inaugural Big Match earlier this year, Oh will seek to get back on track and help lead Cal to victory at Stanford this weekend.

Head coach Nancy McDaniel is also expecting a big performance from Oh this weekend. McDaniel is particularly keen on Oh setting an example for the team’s younger faces.

“Not only as a golfer, but as a student-athlete, she’s our go-to right now,” McDaniel said.

Oh finished in a tie for 21st in the individual rankings in the Stanford Intercollegiate last year and will be anticipating a stronger outing this time around.

Cal will surely have the rivalry with Stanford in mind this weekend, as it holds bragging rights over the host team after defeating the Cardinal in the Big Match last month. This weekend, the Bears will seek to establish themselves as the frontrunners in the Pac-12.

As a whole, however, the team hasn’t had the most ideal start in the eyes of McDaniel, and it is eager to close out the year with strong showings down the stretch of the fall.

“With those two things coming, we’re looking to solidify our fall,” McDaniel said. “We got off to a rocky start.”

With the end of the fall season approaching fast, Cal’s showing in the Stanford Intercollegiate will be an important checkpoint for the team before the spring season. As faces such as Zhu and Oh prepare to buckle down for the winter hiatus, there is still much work to be done.

Jack Whaley covers women’s golf. Contact him at [email protected].