Pusha T supports labelmate Kanye with Treasure Island Music Festival performance

Madison McGaw/Courtesy

On a low-lit stage at the Treasure Island Music Festival, Pusha T delivered a solid, almost-one-hour performance to the massive crowd of festivalgoers Saturday night.

The set opened with “If You Know You Know,” one of his most popular hits off of his latest album, DAYTONA. He played almost all of his newer songs with the right combination of aggression and pure, unadulterated hype.

“I wanna welcome y’all to the Daytona experience,” he said to the crowd early in his set. “When I talk about Daytona, I’m talking about the motherfucking album of the year.” To call his own album the “album of the year” is a bit of a reach, but it was all reflected by his energy and tenacity onstage.  

Kanye West is a big collaborator on Pusha T’s music, so in a transition between songs, he started a chant with the crowd, saying, “When I say good, you say music,” in reference to Kanye’s collective G.O.O.D. Music.

To continue his support for Mr. West, he covered “Runaway,” a song off of Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy — or at least he kind of did. The rapper sang along to most of the song, but even he commented that he couldn’t really perform it like Kanye could and asked for some assistance from the crowd.

He continued this even further with a short feature of “So Appalled,” a Kanye song he was featured on — also off of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. “New God Flow,” yet another song he recorded with Kanye, was quickly added to the mix of Louis Vuitton Don praise.

Pusha T may have called it the Daytona experience, but it honestly felt a little more like the Kanye experience. Many people would call these two practically synonymous because of how present Kanye has been throughout Pusha T’s career. With the amount of confidence he exuded onstage, it might be time for the rapper to grow into his own style a little further.

Skylar De Paul covers music. Contact her at [email protected]. Tweet her at @skylardepaul.