Laptop thefts, felony battery reported to Berkeley Police Department

Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department released a Nixle alert alert Wednesday about 10 a.m., reporting incidents of laptop thefts and a felony battery, among other crimes.

On Sunday at 9:29 a.m., an officer driving on Adeline Street saw a suspect allegedly conducting a “hand-to-hand” drug deal on the corner of Adeline and Fairview streets. The suspect tried to elude the officer, the alert said, but the officer detained the suspect. When officers reached the suspect, he was wearing body armor. The alert said that when officers traced the suspect’s path, they discovered a handgun hidden in the bushes, as well as heroin. The suspect, 43-year-old Oakland resident Dejon Lamaur Disburke, was arrested on suspicion of multiple charges related to gun and drug possession.

On Monday at 4:10 p.m., a man was attacked by two suspects next to his parked vehicle in a parking lot on the corner of San Pablo and University avenues. When emergency personnel arrived, the unconscious 28-year-old man was taken to a local trauma center with moderate injuries to his face and head, according to the alert.

Also on Monday at 5 p.m., a man was standing in an open seating area of a restaurant on the 2100 block of Shattuck Avenue with a menu in his hand and his laptop in the other. When he looked at the menu, three suspects surrounded him and allegedly took the laptop from his hands. The alert said the suspects were last seen running on Shattuck Avenue.

On Wednesday at 4:22 p.m., a woman was inside a coffee shop on the 2500 block of Telegraph Avenue when two suspects allegedly took her laptop and ran away, according to the alert.

On Thursday at 12:54 a.m., BPD officers conducted a traffic-enforcement stop at Sacramento Street and Alcatraz Avenue. When they searched the vehicle, officers discovered a loaded handgun underneath the driver’s seat and a quantity of marijuana. The suspect, 31-year-old Terrance James Smith, was arrested on suspicion of carrying a loaded, concealed firearm.

Jessíca Jiménez is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.