Cal women’s soccer defeated in final road trip of season

Erin Haar/File

This weekend, Cal football managed to pull off an unlikely upset against Pac-12 rival Washington at home. On the road in the Pacific Northwest, however, women’s soccer did not have such luck, falling to the one-two punch of Washington State on Thursday and Washington on Sunday.

The Cougars came into Thursday’s game in the midst of a five-game losing streak and likely with a chip on their shoulders. Despite this, it was the Bears who managed to get on the board first, as freshman midfielder Paige Metayer set herself up for an unassisted strike that had Washington State goalie Rachel Thompson falling down. Metayer’s goal was her second of the season.

That lead, however, did not last long, as Washington State responded within two minutes on a rebound off the crossbar for a conversion. Looking to edge her team into the lead before halftime, the Cougars’ leading scorer Morgan Weaver found the back of the net in the 37th minute, but the Bears’ own leading scorer Abi Kim had other ideas.

With just more than two minutes left to play in the half, Kim fielded a long pass and beat out her defender as she slid to the ground to hit the equalizer.

The intensity of these teams certainly wasn’t left in the locker room at the half, as evidenced by another Washington State goal within 20 seconds of the start of the period to send the Cougs up 3-2.

The Bears had opportunities to respond but were unable to convert on any of their three shots throughout the second half; another late Washington State goal sealed Cal’s fate, and it left Pullman with a disappointing 4-2 loss.

The Bears would have to seek their redemption in Seattle, as they faced the Huskies on Sunday, who had just come off of their sixth straight loss.

It was quickly made clear that the Huskies had no intention of keeping that streak intact, as they got on the board in the eighth minute. What followed was not one, not two, but three more Washington goals all before halftime that went unanswered as Cal headed to the locker room.

At the half, the Bears readjusted their defense, pulling redshirt junior goalie Brooke Lisowski in favor of freshman Amanda Zodikoff.

Zodikoff managed a clean slate in the second half, putting up two saves, while the back line handled the Huskies’ six shots to keep them from worsening the damage. Meanwhile, freshman Renee Thomas hit the first goal of her collegiate career on a long shot from the edge of the 18-yard box to prevent the Bears from being shutout.

Despite a quiet second half for the once-frenzied Washington offense, Cal would close out its final road trip of the season with another loss on a score of 4-1.

As both Cal football and Cal soccer showed this weekend, you never know what to expect when you meet a Washington team.

Adriana Ghiozzi covers women’s soccer. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @dailycal_ag.