BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 04, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Evan Weaver named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week

KAREN CHOW | FILE

|

Former Editor-in-Chief & President

OCTOBER 29, 2018

In the third quarter of Cal football’s upset of No. 15 Washington on Saturday evening, Huskies quarterback Jake Haener threw a pass down the middle of the field on a key third-down play. The man who caught it was Evan Weaver.

The only issue was that Weaver plays for Cal — and after making his first collegiate interception, Weaver returned the ball 37 yards into the end zone (the left pylon, to be exact), for his first career pick six.

That interception, along with 11 tackles for the game while leading an upstart Cal defense, was enough to earn Weaver Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week honors for Week 9 of the college football season.

The Bears held the Huskies to just 250 yards and 10 points, as neither Haener nor starter Jake Browning could find an extended rhythm against Cal’s defensive front. Weaver and the Bears are currently gearing up for a Saturday night showdown with No. 10 Washington State in Pullman.

Josh Yuen is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.

OCTOBER 29, 2018