FBI finds ‘UC Berkeley Library’ in search results of Florida pipe bomb suspect

Daniel Kim/File

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has found that a suspect recently arrested on suspicion of mailing explosives to prominent Democrats across the country used the term “UC Berkeley Library” in an internet search, according to a UCPD Nixle alert.

The alert, issued at 1:36 p.m., states that the FBI has not identified any specific individuals affiliated with the campus as possible recipients of explosives, and the library is the only identified location. There is no evidence that explosives have been sent to the campus, according to the alert.

“There is no specific reason to believe any explosives have been sent to the University, but UCPD asks the community to stay vigilant and report any suspicious packages without delay,” the alert states.

Cesar Sayoc, a 56-year-old Florida man, was arrested Oct. 26 on suspicion of sending 14 pipe bombs to political figures, including Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

In the alert, UCPD outlined the measures it has taken to “ensure public safety,” including routine checks of incoming mail using explosive detection K-9s and “extra” checks of library facilities.

UCPD asks that any reports of suspicious packages found on campus be directed to UCPD at (510) 642-6760.

Danielle Kaye is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @danielledkaye.