Cal women’s golf tees off for final time this fall in Hawaii

Karen Chow/Senior Staff

Warm, tropic weather in November and three days of golf on one of the most beautiful courses in the world — what more can you ask for?

Cal women’s golf will travel to Nanea Golf Club in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, for its final meeting of the fall season Nov. 5-7. The Bears hope to prove themselves against some of the country’s top competition with opposing USC, ranked first in the nation, standing as one of many teams in the way of victory.

Cal will also face off against UCLA and Arizona State, both ranked in the top 10, as well as Washington, Stanford, Arizona State, Oregon State, Colorado, Oregon, Washington State and Hawaii, the host of the event.

“We always look forward to our Pac-12 preview at Nanea because it’s at a really exclusive and kind of a gift of a course that we get to play at every year,” head coach Nancy McDaniel said. “The competition there is the highest that we see in the fall with all of the Pac-12 teams.”

The tough competition is apparent this November as Cal, currently ranked 49th, is the third-lowest ranked team in the tournament, only ahead of Washington State and Hawaii.

Senior Cindy Oh’s excellent season looks promising for a strong finish to the fall in Hawaii. She tied for 13th at the Stanford Intercollegiate and has been a key contributor to the Bears’ success all season.

Freshman Katherine Zhu will also represent the Bears in the Pac-12 preview. She has been a bright look into Cal’s future and has had a strong fall thus far, including an individual second-place tie at the Coeur D’Alene Resort Collegiate Invitational in September.

Freshman Elena Arias, senior Marianne Li and junior Maria Herraez Galvez will join Oh and Zhu to complete Cal’s participants for the Pac-12 preview.

The team is going to work to prove itself in this intrainner-conference matchup with familiar faces on the opposing end. A strong placing in the final event of fall will surely give the Bears a more positive outlook on the spring season, which begins in late February.

McDaniel expected a strong outing in the Stanford Intercollegiate to help the team bounce back from a rough start to the season, but the team was only able to place ninth. With the Pac-12 preview being Cal’s last chance to solidify its fall, McDaniel and the Bears hope to impress this time around.

The returning Bears are familiar with the 73-par course from previous Pac-12 previews and could use this to their advantage as they hit the course in Hawaii.

Cal will also get to see rival Stanford for one last time before the new year, but this time with the rest of the Pac-12 involved as well.

The team will tee off Monday morning with hopes to seal its fall season with a strong finale before beginning the spring season Feb. 25 in San Luis Obispo, California.

Jack Whaley covers women’s golf. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jackdouglas.