Bops to listen to after the midterm elections

Nishali Naik/File

Watching election results come in is stressful, to say the least. While some choose to spend the night at a party, maybe playing games with the results, many others will remember the havoc of the 2016 election cycle and choose to stay home with a few close friends.

Regardless of how you may feel about the elections, these are some songs that should take some stress off your shoulders. Remember, these are not the first elections, nor will they be the last. Just listen to these songs, rest your head and close your eyes.

“This Is America” — Childish Gambino

This Election Day, we need to remember the legacies of our nation, good and bad. Vote for the United States that you want to live in — a good way to remember the flaws of our nation is to listen to this song by Donald Glover, which highlights many of those flaws.

“Canadian, Please” — Gunnarolla feat. Julia Bentley

And then you remember that, hey, this country is deeply flawed, and you are not sure how you can help. If that is the case for you, then this song should really speak to one of the solutions you probably considered. Canada’s beautiful this time of year, eh?

“We Didn’t Start the Fire” — Billy Joel

Elections are a time for civic engagement, and maybe you aren’t the kind of person who flees from their problems. Well, remember that the fires that come from civic engagement didn’t start in 2016 or even in the 2000s; the fire has been burning since politics have existed, and if we are remembering the current flaws of the nation, we might as well remember how our nation fits into the grand scheme of world politics and history.

“Party in the U.S.A.” — Miley Cyrus

While the rest of this playlist might not be what you want to hear while you’re sipping a beer, watching the results roll in, this song definitely is. If you want to celebrate the United States, the “land of the free,” then definitely bop to some nice, classic Miley Cyrus.

“Mad World” — Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules

Here’s a song for if you don’t necessarily want to celebrate the American spirit, but you’re still thinking about the United States’ “land of the free” moniker — this time, from a different perspective.

“Get Out Alive” — Three Days Grace

If you’ve noticed that a lot of your friends are spending Election Day out of the country, then they all took the aforementioned hints. While it’s good to love the ideals embodied in the Constitution, it’s more important to take a mental break from the elections and the stress of existing in this high-tension environment. Put down The New York Times’ results counter, and go breathe some fresh air.

“It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” — R.E.M.

The numbers are rolling in. You cannot put your phone down as you see your preferred party gain or lose seats in the House of Representatives and the Senate. Regardless of which party you are rooting for, it is clear that the federal government has been changed for the next two years.

“It Gets Better” — Fun.

It is not time to lose hope, even if results did not go your way! We cannot forget that these are the midterm elections — only some seats are up for grabs, not all of them. Keep your head up and your voting guide ready for the 2020 elections.

“Don’t Stop the Music” — Rihanna

Don’t stop the civic engagement! Keep up to date with your local representatives and be ready to fill out your 2020 ballot.

Contact Sakura Cannestra at [email protected] .