Your ridiculously early guide to nailing all your finals

Hannah Cooper/File

With midterm season reaching its end, it may seem like the semester should relax, and it should all be smooth sailing from here. But finals week is coming sooner than you think. If you want to avoid any last-minute cramming, then now is the perfect time to start preparing so you can study at a relaxed pace. Here are some tips on how to prepare for finals early this year:

Study new and old material

The best place to start preparing is with studying. This doesn’t just mean reviewing the new material, though it’s a good place to start. This means methodically going through the entire content of the class. You don’t have to rush it — just go through your notes slowly to make sure you’re comfortable with the material by the time finals week comes along.

Go to lecture

Just because there isn’t a looming midterm doesn’t mean you should skip out on lecture. It’s far better to learn the material in slow chunks instead of binging lecture videos late at night. If you want to be prepared for the final, why not let your professor help you learn the material?

Review your past exams

Studying broadly and going to lecture can only get you so far. If you want to improve, then you need to work on what you’re having trouble with. This is where your old exams come in handy. These are road maps showing exactly what material and techniques you struggle with. If you use the questions you got wrong as guidelines for your studying, it should help you get them right the next time.

Make a plan for how you’ll prepare

One of the best things to do is to come up with a strategy. It’s OK if you can’t study right now just as long as you have a plan you can stick to that keeps you from cramming the day before. This also allows you to complete goals — a rare pleasure when studying. Put some thought into your plan, and at the very least, your preparations for finals will have more focus, and you’ll be met with greater success.

Remind yourself that you’ll be ready

It’s important to keep calm as finals rapidly approach. There’s no need to spend every second of every day studying. Slow and steady wins the race. You’ll feel better about your studying and will feel prepared by the end of it. This is also a good reminder that you are capable. Even if the task of studying might seem insurmountable, you will get through it. Don’t let finals scare you too badly.

Finals are weeks away, so it may seem absurd to start preparing now. If you start now, however, it can save you a lot of pain from trying to relearn the whole semester in one week. Take it slow and remind yourself of all the things you’ve gone over. Preparation is the key to success.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .