Cal women’s basketball announces early signings of 2 guards for 2019-20 season

Aditi Raghunath/File

On the opening day of NCAA’s early signing period, Cal women’s basketball announced the signing of two future Bears for the 2019-20 season — Cailyn Crocker and Lauren Fields.

Both Crocker and Fields play the guard position, and the signings seem to be in line with the upcoming departures of senior guard Asha Thomas and graduate student Recee Caldwell, as head coach Lindsey Gottlieb seeks to continue the successful tradition she has been building in the program.

A 5’9” Southern California native, Crocker is the No. 66-ranked player in the nation and a four-star recruit according to prospectsnation.com. ESPN ranks Crocker at No. 28 at the guard position, assigning her a three-star status.

Fields, another 5’9” guard ranked No. 28 at the position by ESPN, is set to become the program’s first-ever player from the state of Oklahoma. Her athleticism will be a good counterpart to what Crocker brings to the table if, or when, they play together on the court.

Currently, Thomas and Caldwell have led the No. 23 Bears to a 3-0 record to kick off the new campaign, eager to finish out their collegiate careers on the right foot this season.

Can Sariöz covers women’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @can_sarioz.