What the time you wake up at on game day says about you

Can we get a GO BEARS? Picture this: It’s game day; you’re in your bed, and the absence of your usual school day responsibilities have been lifted. What time you wake up at is more or less your choice. So, here’s what the time you wake up at on this especially momentous game day says about you.

7 a.m.

You’re either ready to get some major work done, or you’re ready to get some major party on.  If you’re the former, you probably forgot it’s game day and are making a bee-line straight to Moffitt after a hearty breakfast. If you’re the latter, you have your pregame, game and postgame outfits all lined up. Not a SPECK of red will be included in the day. Red solo cups? Trash it. Only blue and gold cups for the No. 1 public university in the world! If you find yourself getting up this early, you’re probably envied by your friends whether it’s for your clout and popularity or your grades.

10 a.m.

You’re awoken by the jeers and cheers of early pregamers and the loud music coming from Apple Beta Pie. You’re not entirely sure if you’re ready to take on the day just yet, but you decide to get up in time for Cal Band to start up “Fight for California.” You look for your Cal T-shirt and put it on to get in the spirit. If you wake up at 10 a.m., you’re somewhat of a follower. The stress of doing well in classes and answering the question of “what will you do after graduation?” is enough to deal with. So, when it comes to social outings, you go with the flow.

Noon

It’s lunchtime. What better situation to wake up to than the aroma of barbecue? Your friends all tell you that you didn’t miss anything except for your roommate who accidentally choked on his toothbrush. Food motivates your everyday activity, so why should the Big Game be any different? If you wake up at noon on game day, you know how to set your expectations so nothing can ever disappoint you. You tell yourself that you take life really easy, when all you really do is conveniently avoid your responsibilities in the name of “self-care.”

2 p.m.

You’re probably going to feel very confused by the generally increased volume of people in the streets compared to a typical Saturday afternoon. You take this opportunity to sing by yourself in your room with your windows down since no one is listening anyway. Also, your roommates left way earlier to attend one of the early morning pregame parties without telling you, so you decide it just wasn’t meant to be. If you wake up at 2 p.m., you’re probably someone who is good at ad-libbing life. Being spontaneous comes easy to you, and you’re good at keeping yourself occupied and are content with being alone.

4:30 p.m.

Hurry up! The game literally just started! If you wake up exactly at 4:30 p.m., you either don’t feel the excitement of large events until the end, or you like to utilize Berkeley Time outside of class.

8 p.m.

What are you doing? The game is over. Everyone is cheering because CAL WON! Forget sleeping for the next day. You overslept anyway, so you’re probably good. If you wake up at 8 p.m., it probably takes an awful lot to get you motivated to socialize. You also refuse to accept FOMO as a legitimate feeling.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter what time you wake up as long as Cal beats Stanford. Of course, you could potentially wake up in between these times, but if you find yourself or your roommate waking up at any of these times, consider it a telltale sign of their personality.

Contact Malvika Singhal at [email protected].