Cal men’s golf scores 4 recruits through national letters of intent

Karen Chow/Senior Staff

As of Nov. 11, four high school seniors have signed national letters of intent to join the Cal men’s golf team starting August 2019. A particular focus for the team was recruiting golfers who excelled in their schoolwork as well as in their golf.

Aaron Chen is from Fremont, California, and his accolades include a No.16 national ranking, according to the Junior Golf Scoreboard. He has posted individual-medalist honors at the 2018 American Junior Golf Association Under Armour/Alison Lee Championship and the 2017 California Interscholastic Federation, or CIF, Norcal Championships.

Brendan Hy is also from Northern California, specifically San Ramon. He was a 2018 first-team All-Future Collegians World Tour, or FCWT, member and was part of the American Junior Golf Association Transamerica Scholastic Junior All-America Honor Roll in 2017. He has earned top-15 honors in numerous tournaments, including at the 2016 Junior Professional Golfers’ Association of America, or PGA, Championship and the International Management Group Academy Junior World Championships.

Costas Panay, from Redmond, Washington, was a member of the All-FCWT First Team and the FCWT All-Academic Team. He also earned recognition by receiving the Washington Junior Golf Association’s Most Inspirational Player Award for District 2 in 2017. He was an individual medalist at the 2018 FCWT San Ramon Open and FCWT Tour Championship.

Kento Yamawaki, from Encinitas, California, is ranked No. 48 by Golfweek and was selected as an All-CIF San Diego County honoree three times during his high school career. He was the 2017 CIF San Diego Section Player of the Year after earning numerous individual-medalist honors and top-10 finishes, including at the section championships.

Akshara Majjiga covers men’s golf. Contact her at [email protected].