BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Cal men's gymnastics scores 2 in-state commitments for 2020 season

ALICE LANGFORD | FILE

NOVEMBER 21, 2018

The Cal men’s gymnastics team has signed two California gymnasts to its roster for the 2020 season, head coach J.T. Okada announced Monday morning.

Hailing from nearby Half Moon Bay, Kyle Shuttle competed for Accel Gymnastics and attended Half Moon Bay High School, although the school only had a women’s gymnastics team to the Cougar name.

Shuttle’s premier achievement is his 2018 vault title at the Junior Olympics National Championships, where he also finished second overall. The 2018 Region I Championships also saw him take home gold in the floor and vault competitions.

Noah Sano will be traveling to Cal from farther down south in Porter Ranch in order to attend his brother’s alma mater. Capri Sano started his career with the Bears in 2013 when he competed in several tournaments as a true freshman. His career continued into his first year as a graduate student in 2017.

The younger Sano also competed for the same club as his brother, Gymnastics Olympica in Van Nuys. After his first season with the club in 2015-16, it was named Junior Olympic National Club Team of the Year.

Sano’s most impressive skill set seems to lie on the pommel horse, the event that won him gold at both the 2016 and 2017 Southern California State Championships.

Both Sano and Shuttle will bring strong, specialized skills to the table for the Bears in addition to winning mindsets in the coming years.

In the meantime, fans can look forward to the start of the 2019 competitive season Jan. 12, when this year’s squad will compete in the annual Cal Benefit Cup to kick off the year.

Contact Alison White at 

NOVEMBER 21, 2018