How to have a fun Thanksgiving break if you are staying in Berkeley

Sharon Pan/File

It’s Thanksgiving! There’s so much to be thankful for this year, Bears, so don’t worry if you aren’t celebrating at home. Here are some ways you could make the most out of your break if you’re staying close to campus this year.

Have a Friendsgiving kickback

Gather a bunch of your other friends who are around town and have a chill day filled with long conversations and good laughs. Don’t stress over cooking and baking. Have everyone bring their favorite shareable food and potentially start a new tradition. Take the time to really show your appreciation for your friends. Sometimes the fast pace of classes, clubs and other commitments can seem to dilute long-held friendships. Now is the opportunity to show otherwise.

Binge-watch a TV show

The nice thing about online-entertainment subscriptions is that you can stream from anywhere! Instead of spending time thinking of spicy clapbacks at the dinner table, spend your energy watching the latest season of your favorite show or a show you haven’t been completely caught up on yet.

Take a nap in the rain

The soft pitter-patter of the rain is the perfect background noise to slumber peacefully to. If you’ve found yourself swept up in the craze of classes or you need to escape from other daily stressors, don’t feel bad about staying in bed for a few extra hours. Think about those countless times you woke up and the first thought you had was, “When can I go back to bed?

Blast the Christmas carols

Your cousins can’t judge you for maniacally dancing to “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” Whatever you need to do to get in the spirit, get it done, and have no regrets. Try out your celebrity impressions, pretend you’re performing live, and play that one song on repeat a thousand times. Music never fails to put a spring in your step. A few things we can be thankful for are the timeless tunes that make the holidays a bit more bearable.

Take a day trip

Now’s your chance to take a solo day trip to San Francisco or a nearby hiking trail. Solo trip or not, we all need some change of scenery every once in a while. If you’re feeling a bit stressed, use this trip as a way to recenter yourself and be thankful for your own hard work this semester. You’ve come so far, and you deserve a day to acknowledge your resilience and determination. The next few weeks won’t be easy, but at least they’ll be a little easier once you’ve had the chance to build yourself up.

Volunteer at a soup kitchen

Thanksgiving is a day meant to spread positivity and good vibes for the remainder of the year. Help contribute by volunteering at a local soup kitchen. As UC Berkeley students, we dream about giving back to society in splendid ways such as through breakthrough research or new theories, but we must not forget that helping and caring for people’s well-being starts with the people within our very own city.

Whatever you’ve got planned, we hope you stay cozy and take some time to get some well-deserved relaxation.

Contact Malvika Singhal at [email protected] .