There’s snow better way to chill: Things to do in the Bay this winter break

Oakland Zoo/Courtesy

We’re at the final stretch of the semester. One more week, and then we finally get to experience a month full of relaxation and fun. There’s no doubt that winter break is the best break of the year. It’s the only break where we actually get to enjoy our time off and catch up on all the sleep we lost. That being said, we want you to enjoy every minute of it — there’s no time to waste. If you’re staying in the Bay Area for break, you’re in luck! Here’s a list of activities to occupy your time with this winter break.

Union Square Ice Skating; November 7 – January 21

Outdoor ice skating rinks are something we don’t see very often in the Bay.  However, San Francisco sets up their ice skating rink right in Union Square during the holidays every year. Skip the indoor ice skating rinks in dark warehouse-like buildings and come out to San Francisco to be surrounded by the city’s festive lights and decorations while skating! Side note: we highly recommend going in the evening to really bask in the holiday cheer. 

Winter Park at Civic Center; December  

Here’s another opportunity for you to skate outdoors, but instead, at the Civic Center! Have you ever wanted to learn how to curl? Well, you’re in luck, because the Silicon Valley, Granite and San Francisco Bay Curling Clubs are hosting beginner sessions this winter. Come out and accomplish your dream of being a curler!

Oakland ZooLights; December 7-23, 26-31 & January 1-6  

Enjoy the view of the Oakland Hills and the Bay on a festively-lit gondola! The Oakland Zoo holds this event every year, and it’s always a blast. Cuddle up in your favorite sweater and come enjoy the holiday lights, laser-light show and Christmas-themed attractions.

Kaskade and Odesza; December 31    

Can’t decide what to do for New Year’s Eve? Well, we have the perfect solution for you! Odesza and Kaskade will be in the Bay this New Year’s Eve. Kaskade will be performing at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, while Odesza will be at the Warfield. Cop your tickets before they’re sold out, and enjoy a night of amazing music and visuals with your friends!   

Explore museums in San Francisco for free; First week of January

San Francisco is home to many museums from the California Academy of Sciences to the Asian Art Museum. All the museums are in the vicinity, so you’re definitely able to explore more than one in a day. All the museums host free days and many of them are free during the first week of January!

California Twilight Cruise; December – March 22

If you’re looking to explore San Francisco’s sparkling city lights and famous landmarks in a spectacular way, then this is the perfect activity for you! Departing from Fisherman’s Wharf, the cruise will take you past Coit Tower, Treasure & Yerba Buena Islands, AT&T Park and much more. Red and White Fleet Cruises also provides many other cruises from their California Sunset Cruise to their Golden Gate Bay Cruise. Enjoy a fun night with your date or friends filled with killer views, live music, appetizers and drinks!    

These are just some of the events that you can enjoy during your time off! There are so much more — from exploring restaurants to hiking to just chilling at the Golden Gate Park. We hope you have a relaxing winter break because you deserve it! Go Bears!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].