This week in the world of superheroes

Marvel Entertainment/Courtesy

This week, a flood of films have hit the big screen. And with the swarm of Oscar-worthy films and sultry indie movies being released, it is nice to watch something for the simple purpose of entertainment. It bodes well that three new or reprised superhero films, “Aquaman,” “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and “Once Upon a Deadpool,” all came out this week. Take a break from the period pieces and dramatic cinema with one of these action-packed flicks.

— Maisy Menzies

‘Aquaman’ rides wave of submarine CGI spectacle

Now, with “Aquaman,” that score is slightly improved, as James Wan’s submarine, superhero spectacular rides a wave of impressive visuals, compensating for an at times messy, overly ambitious screenplay.

‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ is as extraordinary as it allows its audience to be

“Spider-Verse” tells the tale of a teenager navigating the minefield of growing into himself. Anyone who’s ever made the leap from childhood to adolescence can relate to how intrinsic identity and individuality can be to that experience.

There’s no reason for ‘Once Upon a Deadpool’ to exist, but at least it’s for a good cause

“Once Upon a Deadpool” is framed by a ludicrous premise that somehow works — Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) reciting the story of “Deadpool 2” to his captive, a now fully grown Fred Savage, à la “The Princess Bride.”

Contact The Daily Californian’s arts & entertainment staff at [email protected].