BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Berkeley police arrest suspect after finding gun, club in vehicle during DUI traffic stop

DANIEL KIM | FILE

JANUARY 02, 2019

Berkeley Police Department arrested a man Dec. 22 after a patrol officer found a gun and a club in his car during a DUI traffic stop in South Berkeley.

At 11 p.m., a BPD officer noticed a vehicle speeding through the area near Martin Luther King Jr. Way and Stanford Avenue, and stopped the vehicle at the intersection of Stanford Avenue and Vallejo Street, said BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White in an email.

After the driver, 42-year-old San Leandro resident Jason Andre Clardy, pulled over, the officer noticed a smell of alcohol and marijuana coming from inside the car. When the officer searched the vehicle, he found open bottles of alcohol, marijuana, a handgun, ammunition and a blackjack club.

Clardy was arrested on suspicion of carrying a concealed/loaded firearm and possession of a blackjack, according to White.

Check back for updates.

Amanda Bradford is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @amandabrad_uc.

JANUARY 02, 2019