An open letter to Las Vegas, California’s go-to winter holiday destination

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Dear fabulous Las Vegas,

The minute nearly every person in California and their parents drive over the crest of the mountains or descend from the sky and see you nestled in between chocolate hills, they feel joy inside. Mothers grumble, dads gamble and children gape in awe at all your glittery glory. We here at the Clog would like to express our thanks to you for being our No. 1 winter holiday vacation place, despite the increased chance of making awkward eye contact with someone from our hometown hundreds of miles away.

There’s no feeling like driving down Las Vegas Boulevard, gawking at the towers of Excalibur Hotel and Casino, the majesty of Caesars Palace, the sleek and modern build of Aria Resort and Casino, that creepy jester perched on Harrah’s Las Vegas, and of course, Trump International Hotel Las Vegas lurking in the back like a child excluded by its classmates during recess.

We thank you for your myriad of Christmas attractions, from gorgeous Christmas trees at the the Cosmopolitan to festive, animatronic horse statues that occasionally scare a kid by moving their tails. Thank you for blessing us with the Fremont Street Experience and its roof. We love the Linq Promenade with lights wrapped around the trees and various decorations and shows. We especially love the High Roller looming over us, beckoning us with its 30-minute ride for $30.

We choose to ignore your cigarette smoke and raunchy club advertisements while we hustle our families up and down the Strip. We look forward to the cold nights spent jostling for a space at the Mirage’s erupting volcano or the Bellagio’s spectacular dancing fountain or the line at one of your countless hotel buffets. You make up for everything with the Forum, the Grand Canal and the Miracle Mile Shops. Oh, and White Castle.

The five- to 10-hour drive with all the I-5 and I-15 traffic and barren SoCal landscape makes it all worth it.

Love,

The Clog

Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected] .