Cal football celebrates a memorable season

Karen Chow/Senior Staff

The 2018 Cal football season saw the Bears clinch a bowl berth for the first time since 2015. The team’s unwavering grit and strength throughout the year was illuminated through improved fan attendance and a rejuvenated defense on the field. From Cal’s first home game against North Carolina to the Cheez-It Bowl in Arizona, fans stood by the team through every win and loss. They energized the student-athletes and celebrated with them, ultimately playing a key role in propelling the Bears to a 7-6 record.

Relive the 2018 season’s snapshots of joy and anticipation with the fans, alumni and players themselves.

Cal Band opens up each game to welcome the players and fans to Memorial Stadium. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Cal Band opens up each game to welcome the players and fans to Memorial Stadium.
KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Cornerback Elijah Hicks prepares for the start of the next play. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Elijah Hicks (6) and Evan Weaver (89), along with their teammates, burst out of the tunnel and onto the field. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Safety Jaylinn Hawkins was named 2018 Cheez-It Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player after recording three of Cal’s four interceptions during the game. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Outside linebacker Alex Funches signals the crowd to get loud. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Tight end Ian Bunting (83) and wide receiver Jeremiah Hawkins (10) join an offensive huddle during Cal’s home game against Oregon. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Michigan transfer wide receiver Moe Ways developed into a leader both on and off the field in his lone season with the Bears. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Students flaunt their blue and gold as they cheer on the Bears. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

A pair of young fans play their own game of football after storming the field. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

A Cal fan revels in the close win clinched by the Bears over the Washington Huskies. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Following a Cal victory over Colorado, quarterback Chase Forrest conducts Cal Band to conclude Senior Day. KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Following a Cal victory over Colorado, quarterback Chase Forrest conducts Cal Band to conclude Senior Day.
KAREN CHOW/SENIOR STAFF

Contact Karen Chow at [email protected].