UC Berkeley student reports sexual assault in campus residence

Daniel Kim/File

A UC Berkeley student was sexually assaulted in her campus residence Jan. 6, according to a Nixle alert released Friday night.

According to the alert, the suspect was known to the survivor and met the survivor earlier that day at a café on Southside. When the café closed, the pair went to the survivor’s nearby residence, where the survivor was sexually assaulted, the alert said. The survivor did not suffer any major physical injuries.

UCPD said in the alert that rape and sexual assault are never the survivor’s fault, adding that sexual assault and rape can happen in all contexts. 80 percent of sexual assaults and rapes are perpetrated by someone known by the survivor, according to the alert.

Victims of a violent crime who wish to file a police report are advised not to shower or wash the clothing they wore during an assault. UCPD added in the alert that victims can access resources including the PATH to Care Center and social services at the Tang Center.

Anyone with information concerning this incident or any similar recent incidents are asked to call UCPD’s Criminal Investigations Bureau at 510-642-0472 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. or 510-642-6760 at all other times.

Check back for updates.

Sabrina Dong is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Sabrina_Dong_.