Caul me maybe! ‘Cheesy’ vegan roasted cauliflower recipe

Allison Fong/Staff

Hey! I just met you, and this is crazy, but here’s a yummy recipe, so caul me maybe! There’s no denying that cauliflower, the underrated sister of the more popular broccoli, has a bad rap. As an individual who has always enjoyed cauliflower, I just don’t get it. I mean sure, I guess this starkly white, wannabe broccoli tastes as bland as it looks, but rather than looking at its dull flavor as a disadvantage, many have utilized it as a blank slate to carry other flavors.

One of the most popular flavor combinations for cauliflower has definitely got to be cheese. Arguably, cheese tastes good on anything. However, as a lactose intolerant gal, such a flavor combination is a nightmare, so nutritional yeast is my best friend. The healthier version of parmesan cheese — nutritional yeast — is all the rave in the vegan world. Not convinced? Try this tasty recipe below!

Ingredients

1 head cauliflower

⅓ cup nutritional yeast

2 tablespoons flour

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon paprika

¼ teaspoon black pepper

⅓  cup extra virgin olive oil

Instructions

Heat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Starting at the base of the cauliflower, cut the cauliflower head into florets. This can be done using the tip of a knife to wedge the large florets that come off from the wide of the cauliflower. Because some of the florets can be rather large, cut them into smaller bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry cauliflower florets thoroughly.

cauliflower_allison-fong_staff

Add the yeast, flour and spices into a small bowl and stir to combine mixture. In a separate bowl, measure out the olive oil. Taking one floret at a time, lightly dip into the olive oil followed by the spice mixture to coat each floret. The key here is to shake off the excess oil from each floret before placing it in the yeast mixture. You do not want them to be completely saturated in oil.

cauliflower_allison-fong_staff

Place florets onto baking sheet and continue this process until you have successfully coated all of the cauliflower. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the cauliflower is golden brown and crispy.

califlour_allison-fong_staff

Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before tasting. This will allow the crust to achieve maximum crunchiness.

cauliflower_allison-fong_staff

Who said cauliflower had to be boring? Not me! The next time you head to the grocery store, don’t skip out on the cauliflower. This underrated vegetable is a force to be reckoned with!

Allison Fong is the assistant blog editor. Contact Allison Fong at [email protected].