New year, new books to read

Kavya Narendra Babu/File

As the confetti from New Year’s Eve settles, the new year brings new books new adventures, characters to love and stories to fall into. Although it is impossible to capture all of the many books to be released in 2019, find a book you enjoy in each of the several popular genres listed below.

Science fiction

“Here and Now and Then” by Mike Chen

Release date: Jan. 29

Chen spins the time-traveling tale of a secret agent from the year 2142 who becomes trapped in 1990s San Francisco. Torn between two times, the story details emotional struggles as well as time-traveling ones.

Nonfiction

“Underground: A Human History of the Worlds Beneath Our Feet” by Will Hunt

Release date: Jan. 29

If you’ve ever wondered about what lies just beneath the Earth’s surface: in subway tunnels, catacombs, caves or anywhere else, this book illuminates places many of us have never seen.

Fiction

“Sea Monsters: A Novel” by Chloe Aridjis

Release date: Feb. 5

Publishers Weekly describes “Sea Monsters: A Novel” as a “strange and hypnotic novel.” Luisa, a teenager in Mexico City, leaves behind home to venture to Oaxaca with her boyfriend, Tomas. Luisa’s obsessions and fascinations span from a missing troupe of Ukrainian dwarves she hopes to find to the eclectic people she meets to the music she loves.

Fantasy

Black Leopard, Red Wolf” by Marlon James

Release date: Feb. 5

Black Leopard, Red Wolf,” the first novel of the forthcoming Dark Star Trilogy, is one of the most anticipated novels of 2019. James, 2015 winner of the Man Booker Prize, writes of a traversal across a fantastical version of Africa filled with witches, shape-shifters, giants and other outlandish figures. Tracker, a loner and hunter, narrates his search for a missing boy across these lands.

Poetry

“The Book of Delights” by Ross Gay

Release date: Feb. 12

“The Book of Delights” begins as the author’s daily essays categorizing, simply, what he finds delightful, such as two people who share the load of a grocery bag, or the strangeness of carrying a seedling onto a plane. In 102 pieces, he winds these descriptions of joyfulness with social commentary, showing the reader the delight that can be found in even unexpected places.

Young adult

“Dig” by A.S. King

Release date: March 26

Though a young-adult novel, “Dig” digs into complex themes of racism, class and family. The five teenagers of the Hemmings family are tangled in a web of family secrets, at the center of which are their wealthy grandparents, themselves the descendents of impoverished potato farmers.

Short story

“Guestbook: Ghost Stories” by Leanne Shapton

Release date: March 26

Guestbook: Ghost Stories” is an unconventional collection of short stories about the ghosts that haunt us. Accompanied by photographs and images, the stories span from a tennis player certain his wins are attributed to ghosts to a woman who returns from Alcatraz Island sure a spirit has attached itself to her.

Historical fiction

The Nickel Boys” by Colson Whitehead

Release date: June 3

In 1960s Florida, Elwood, a young Black man about to attend college is sentenced to a hellish and abusive juvenile reformatory. Based on the story of a real and similarly abusive reformatory, this book from the award-winning author promises a fascinating and educational novel.

Contact Ella Tyler at [email protected] .