Berkeley hit by multiple laptop thefts over last couple of weeks

An aerail map
Google/Courtesy

Berkeley experienced a number of grand thefts of laptops over the last couple of weeks at several places, including Caffe Strada and Udupi Palace.

According to a Nixle alert, on Jan. 21 about 9:05 p.m., a male suspect walked up to a woman working on her laptop in the outside seating area of Caffe Strada. The alert said the suspect grabbed the laptop and then ran away westbound on Bancroft Way. Witnesses described the suspect as a male about 5 feet, 10 inches tall, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and pants.

In a separate incident Saturday about 9 p.m., a man’s laptop was stolen at Udupi Palace, which is located at 1903 University Ave. The suspect walked over to the man, who was seated near the restaurant’s front door, grabbed his laptop and ran out of the restaurant. Witnesses described the suspect as a Black male, 16 to 20 years old, about 5 feet, 8 inches tall and dressed in a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt and jeans.

Berkeley Police Department also received reports of two grand thefts of laptops at Sack’s Coffee House on Jan. 17 and Jan. 22.

Check back for updates.

Amber Tang is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the crimes as robberies. In fact, they were grand thefts.