Several laptops stolen from Sack’s Coffee House customers within past week

A streetview map of a cafe
Google/Courtesy

Several laptops were stolen from customers at Sack’s Coffee House within a span of five days, according to a Nixle alert released by Berkeley Police Department on Tuesday afternoon.

The first grand theft occurred Jan. 17 about 1:25 p.m. at the coffee house, which is located at 2701 College Ave., the alert said. A woman sitting inside the coffee house near the front door was working on her laptop when a suspect walked inside, grabbed the laptop from her and fled the scene, heading westbound on Derby Street. The alert said witnesses described the suspect as a Black male in his mid-20s, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and wearing a blue-hooded sweatshirt and gray pants.

On Jan. 22 about 5:37 p.m., two suspects entered the coffee house and grabbed laptops from two people sitting near the front door, the alert said. The suspects then ran westbound on Derby Street. The alert added that witnesses described the suspects as two Black males between 18 to 20 years old and about 5 feet, 10 inches tall.

Berkeley was also hit by two additional laptop thefts in the past two weeks at Caffe Strada and Udupi Palace.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the crimes as robberies. In fact, they were grand thefts.