Netflix and chill with these award-nominated Netflix shows and films

Vogue/Courtesy

Leading the pack this Golden Globes Awards season is the streaming entertainment service, Netflix, with an impressive total of thirteen nominations to kick competitors like Hulu and Amazon to the curb. It seems like just yesterday that Netflix was fresh on the scene and you were scrambling to find someone with a subscription to leech off of. But now that it’s 2019, Netflix is more than just an archive of movies from ten years ago. In fact, it’s dominating the realm of production companies with some of its latest TV shows and films. The next time you find yourself in need of something new to watch, be sure to head to Netflix and check out the following:

“Roma”

Following the life of a maid working for a dysfunctional, middle-class white family in Colonia Roma, a neighborhood within Mexico City, “Roma,” directed by Alfonso Cuarón, is a uniquely emotional epic like never before. As the plot carries on, viewers witness the stability of the household uproot itself, and all of the rawness is captured on screen from birth and death to love and betrayal. At the 2019 Golden Globes, “Roma” received three nominations, winning two for Best Director — Motion Picture and Best Motion Picture —Foreign Language. Although the Academy Awards have yet to occur, the film has already emerged as a front-runner for the evening with an astounding 10 nominations under its belt. But nothing less is to be expected from the director, Cuarón, who already holds 28 Academy Award nominations. The next time you catch yourself complaining about the outdated content on Netflix, check out “Roma,” easily one of the greatest films to come out this past year.

“Ozark”

If you loved “Breaking Bad,” “Ozark” is the next best thing. Jason Bateman stars as the main character of the show, an unsuspecting financial advisor, caring father and doting husband who uproots his white picket fence lifestyle in Chicago to the Ozarks. There, he runs a money laundering scheme for one of the biggest Mexican drug cartels. Similar to Bryan Cranston’s portrayal of Walter White in “Breaking Bad,” we see yet another lawbreaking protagonist masked by the façade of an innocent family man and perhaps more importantly, played by an actor with a previously comedic past. One of Bateman’s most iconic roles is Michael Bluth in “Arrested Development,” a drastically different line of work from “Ozark,” which showcases his array of acting abilities. And clearly, critics seem to approve with the series receiving nominations for Best Actor at the Golden Globes, Primetime Emmys and Screen Actors Guild Awards.

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

For those who are constantly on the go or happen to have a shorter attention span, “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” is a film divided into six vignettes, each set against a Western backdrop. It’s also the most recent film to be released by directors Joel and Ethan Coen, more popularly known as the Coen Brothers. With most of their work, you can expect comedy, drama, romance and horror all intermingled with one another, leaving you in suspense in one moment and laughing in the next. “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” is up for three nominations at the Oscars: one for original song, another for costume design and the last for adapted screenplay. If you have the time (or don’t!), be sure to give this movie a watch.

“The Kominsky Method”

“The Kominsky Method” brings to light a story that we’ve all probably heard before, which helps contribute to its ingenuity. Michael Douglas stars as Sandy Kominsky, an aging actor who enjoyed his brief five seconds of fame when he received a Tony Award, but now works as an acting coach. The series was created by Chuck Lorre, the man behind popular shows like “The Big Bang Theory” and “Two and a Half Men,” so we could only suspect that when he took his talents to Netflix, it would be a hit. At the Golden Globes, “The Kominsky Method” took home two out of the three awards it was nominated for, Best Television Series — Musical or Comedy and Best Actor —Television Series Musical or Comedy. If that doesn’t give you more of a reason to watch it, we don’t know what will.

“Bodyguard”

“Bodyguard” revolves around the life of police sergeant David Budd, who suffers from post traumatic stress disorder as a war veteran of the British Army. Budd currently works as a specialist protection officer, or more simply put, a bodyguard, for home secretary Julia Montague, whose political stance is antithetical to that of his in every aspect. Much of Budd’s day-to-day tasks include everything from protecting against terrorist threats and internal corruption within the police force, which creates suspense everywhere you turn. The show first garnered success in the United Kingdom on BBC One, but through Netflix has acquired international popularity. If you’re a fan of thrillers, give “Bodyguard” a go.

The next time you contemplate cancelling your Netflix subscription because you simply can’t find anything half decent to watch, reconsider the dire mistake you’re about to make and give one of these fab five a trial run.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .