Berkeley Law announces educational program on venture capital

The sign of the Berkeley Law school.
Daniel Kim/File

UC Berkeley School of Law and the National Venture Capital Association, or NVCA, announced their partnership through the [email protected] initiative to launch VC University, an educational program on venture capital that provides practical training for attorneys, entrepreneurs and investors who are interested in emerging company finance.

A collaboration between the Berkeley Center for Law and Business and the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology, [email protected] was launched in 2015 to deliver legal training for aspiring startup lawyers and dynamic programming for entrepreneurs and investors on issues that companies face at an early stage. Students can access VC University through an online certificate program or by attending VC University LIVE, an in-person program held in rising venture ecosystems across the United States.

“This partnership gives us a much larger platform with which to help educate people who are interested in learning how to navigate the VC ecosystem,” *said Professor Robert Bartlett, founder of [email protected] in an email. “Our online platform, for example, is designed to allow anyone the ability to understand how VC finance operates in practice, no matter where you might live.”

According to a press release from NVCA, VC University will provide an opportunity for students to connect with leaders from Silicon Valley and learn about venture fundamentals. The program includes interviews and lectures from faculty at UC Berkeley and local universities, leading U.S. venture investors and executives from NVCA.

The enrollment, which includes a one-year subscription to more than 20 hours of materials, is now open through March 22, and the course will start April 1.

“In general, we started with the basic idea to make Berkeley the go-to law school for the study of venture capital finance, while simultaneously giving back to this amazing entrepreneurial community through community programming and education,” Bartlett said in an email.

Bartlett, who has been working several years with the NVCA as an adviser, is currently on their general counsel advisory board. According to Bartlett, the partnership originated last March during their discussion on finding different ways to promote access to the venture capital ecosystem outside the “conventional startup hubs” along the two coasts.

Bartlett added that the central goal of the NVCA is accessibility to the venture capital ecosystem. [email protected] has also created programming located in Berkeley for entrepreneurs through the FORM+FUND program for campus entrepreneurs and VC Unlocked, a program for new investors.

“Moreover, we will also be running two live programs with partner universities (our first two are with the University of Michigan and with Tulane) that should also help promote networking opportunities among founders, investors and other service providers in geographic areas that have historically received fewer venture capital investment dollars relative to the amount of innovation that occurs there,” Bartlett said in an email.

Contact Bella An at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @BellaAn_dc.