Combat the cold with our delicious udon noodle soup recipe

Checkered printed bowl of noodle soup topped with circular chopped onions and an uncooked egg rests on white surface.
Pixabay/Creative Commons

As we get well into the colder part of the year (and a new semester), a hot, comforting udon noodle soup recipe may help lift your spirits. A trusted friend swears by this recipe as a bona fide “quick, delicious, clear-out-your-fridge” kind of meal, and we want to share the love with our readers!

Here’s what you’ll need!

1/2 box chicken broth

2 tbsp noodle soup base (We recommend the Kikkoman Memmi Noodle Soup Base. You can substitute this ingredient with regular soy sauce.)

1 package udon noodles

1-2 cloves fresh garlic

1 green onion

Your choice of protein (Get creative with pork belly, cubed chicken, shrimp, fish balls, egg, etc.)

A pinch of white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika

Sriracha sauce

Optional: Yu Choy, bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, Napa lettuce or yellow onion

Instructions

Chop the green onion and any vegetables you want to add in your soup. Finely slice your cloves of garlic. In a pot, combine your chicken broth, chopped green onions, sliced garlic, choice of protein and chopped veggies. Add in liquid noodle soup base according to your taste. Boil your udon noodles in a separate pot and drain. Once your soup base boils, add in cooked udon noodles and allow soup to simmer for about seven-10 minutes.

Make sure everything is cooked! Add salt, cayenne pepper and paprika to taste. Finish with white pepper (added last to avoid making the soup frothy) and serve with Sriracha sauce. Enjoy!

Whether you graciously embrace the cold or seek refuge at the slightest hint of rain, this noodle soup recipe will help warm you up and satisfy your taste buds. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Good luck and stay warm.

Contact Pariswi Tewari at [email protected].