Berkeley police investigate 4 robberies, arrest 3 suspects

Google Maps/Courtesy

Four robberies in the past six days have been identified as cases of community interest, according to Berkeley Police Department in a Nixle alert.

On Jan. 30 at 11:50 a.m., a man was standing on the 1800 block of 62nd Street when he noticed a suspect rummaging through the back seat of his nearby parked vehicle. When the man yelled at the suspect, the suspect pointed a gun at him and proceeded to chase the man, according to the alert. While running, the man tripped and fell down. While on the ground, the suspect threatened him with the gun and proceeded to take items from the man’s vehicle. The suspect then entered another nearby vehicle — determined to have been previously stolen — and drove away. Witnesses described the suspect as a Black male in his 30s who is about 5 feet 10 inches and was wearing a black shirt and jeans.

On Thursday at 7:49 p.m., a man was standing in front of his home on the 3100 block of Ellis Street when he was approached by two male suspects. One of the suspects pulled out a gun and demanded that the man give them his property, according to the alert. The man complied, and the suspects left the area. Witnesses described one of the suspects as Black with light skin, about 18 to 19 years old, 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 11 inches tall and wearing a black, hooded sweatshirt with dark-colored pants.

At 6:40 p.m. Saturday, a woman was walking on Sacramento Street when she was approached by three male suspects. One of the suspects grabbed the woman’s cellphone from her hand, and the group ran away. Based on the descriptions that witnesses provided, officers were able to locate and arrest the suspects for suspicion of robbery and possession of stolen property. A 14- and 15-year-old from Richmond were located in the Holly Street and Buena Avenue area. The third suspect — a 15-year-old from Richmond — was located near Ohlone Park.

On Monday at 10:10 a.m., a woman was using the ATM outside of Chase Bank on Shattuck Avenue when a suspect approached her. Once the bills were dispensed, the suspect told the woman that she had a gun and demanded the woman’s money. The suspect then walked away. Witnesses described the suspect as a white female, about 50 to 55 years old and about 5 feet 4 inches to 5 feet 5 inches tall with a heavy build and wearing a maroon or burgundy jacket.

Alexandra Casey is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @acasey_dc.