Unique DeCals to check out this spring 2019 semester

Jessica Joojphibulpol/File

Whether you’re aiming for straight As or trust in the “Cs get Degrees” mantra, the truth is that classes can get overwhelming.

For those brave, spontaneous moments when you want to venture outside your comfort zone (without having to worry about the grade you earn), the DeCal courses offered at UC Berkeley have your back. In case you don’t know about these courses already, DeCals are pass/no pass classes that are student-taught and touch on a variety of topics from Drake to chocolate to cardiology.

Interested in learning about the DeCals offered this spring? Here are a few from across the spectrum.

Started From the Bottom: The Artistic Evolution of Aubrey Drake Graham

An iconic DeCal here at UC Berkeley, this course offers a unique opportunity to explore Drake’s life, music and social influence among fellow Drake lovers!

This DeCal is 2 units, offered Mondays 5-7 p.m. and Wednesdays 4-6 p.m. in 128 Morrison Hall. 

History, Culture, and Practice of Salsa Dance

According to the DeCal website, this course “explores the cultural, historical, and social underpinnings of salsa dancing through various sources: lectures, readings, dance, and events.”

For those looking to embrace a new art form, or learn more about the culture of Salsa, check out this DeCal and all it has to offer! What are you doing if you’re not moving? Get up and dance!

This DeCal is 1 unit, offered Tuesdays from 7-9 p.m in 242 Hearst Gym.

The Bagpipes, for Beginning and Intermediate Players

Learn how to play the bagpipes! This is probably one of the few chances you will ever have to learn this interesting instrument. Through the course, you will learn how to read notes, practice the techniques and perform music yourself!

This DeCal is 1 Unit, offered Tuesday/Thursday from 7:30-8:30 p.m. in 265 Morrison Hall.

Demystifying the Research Process: Decolonizing Methods in Academic Research

Through this class, you will gain exposure to research by creating and presenting your own research proposal. This class can be helpful to students from any field of interest and allows you to engage in a collaborative environment where you can hone your research skills!

This DeCal is 1-3 units, offered Mondays from 6-8 p.m. in 151 Barrows Hall.

Machine Learning DeCal

This DeCal offers a chance to explore data via Python, analyze statistical and deep learning models and explore the world of machine learning among like-minded peers.

This DeCal is 2 units, offered Tuesdays from 5-7 p.m. in 1 Leconte Hall.

People’s Park and the Right to The Commons

We all know about Berkeley’s famous People’s Park, but how much do we really understand it? This DeCal seeks to demystify the park’s rich history and explore the turmoil surrounding the park in today’s political climate.

This DeCal is 1 unit, offered Tuesdays from 5-6 p.m. in 166 Barrows Hall. 

Beyond Design Thinking: Technology Through a Critical Lens

This DeCal explores the intersectionality between technology and society, covering topics such as “critical theory, science and technology studies, design ethics, postcolonial design, and speculative design.”

This DeCal is 2 units, offered Mondays from 5-7 p.m. in 340 Moffitt Library. 

Introduction to Cardiology

Explore the world of heart health including diet, global health and diseases.  Whether you have an interest in cardiology or just want to learn more about your heart, this is a great class to take!

This DeCal is 1 unit, offered Thursdays from 6-7 p.m. in 2070 VLSB.

So for all of our stressed-out Bears, let yourself relax and take some interesting courses you won’t find anywhere else! Check out the DeCal website for even more DeCals and topics to explore.

Contact Pariswi Tewari at [email protected].