BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 23, 2022

Berkeley school board president Judy Appel, wife expected to recover after collision

FEBRUARY 10, 2019

After a Jan. 5 traffic collision left Berkeley Unified School District, or BUSD, board president Judy Appel and her wife Alison Bernstein in critical condition, the two are expected to make a complete or almost complete recovery, according to BUSD spokesperson Charles Burress.

A “support network” that has been running since the collision shared the recent update on their conditions, Burress said in an email.

Appel and Bernstein are now in acute rehabilitation after being in intensive care, according to Burress, and though they will have to go through extensive rehabilitation, it is expected that both will recover.

Two online support networks were created by community members following the collision — a Lotsa Helping Hands community to support the needs of the victims’ families and a GoFundMe page to help cover the medical costs of the patients, which has raised $14,237 as of press time and is no longer active.

Contact Sarah Chung at 

FEBRUARY 11, 2019