ATM stolen from West Berkeley Mobil gas station after 2 attempts

Google Maps/Courtesy

Berkeley Police Department received reports that suspects in two different vehicles attempted to steal an ATM from a Mobil gas station in West Berkeley early Tuesday morning.

Between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m., suspects in a vehicle attempted to steal an ATM mounted on an exterior wall of the gas station, located at 950 University Ave., but failed to do so, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White.

At 6:43 a.m., BPD received reports of a grand theft after three suspects in a different vehicle successfully removed the same ATM and put it into their SUV before driving away. The suspects were last seen driving southbound on Eighth Street from University Avenue, White said in an email. He added that numerous officers responded to the area but failed to locate the suspects.

Albany Police Department received a report of a stolen vehicle from Solano Avenue and San Carlos Avenue minutes before the ATM theft occurred, according to White. Based on evidence obtained from the West Berkeley Mobil gas station, the getaway vehicle used in the ATM theft was the same vehicle stolen from Albany — a 2002 gray Chevy Tahoe with license number 4XFS557. White added that the stolen SUV has not yet been located.

Authorities are attempting to confirm that the same suspects were involved in both incidents, according to White, who added that this investigation is currently ongoing.

Check back for updates.

Amber Tang is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.