3 Valentine’s Day songs that embrace how sexy, sad and single you are

Hannah Cooper/Staff

It really is that time of the season for lovin’. Love is in the air and in the stores and on the streets. But if you’re single, these holiday antics can get tiresome. I may no longer be single, but boy, do I remember the feeling. But being sad doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. So, I’ve got just the thing to mix it up this Valentine’s Day. Three sexy hits that embrace all of the sensuality and melancholy that can come with being single on Valentine’s Day.

1. “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak

An ambient guitar rift drifts through the air as your silken curtains move in time with the melody. Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game” is an anthem of commitment issues and thus, comforting to the single-by-choice. But it paints a clear picture of a losing game — an easy aversion to love out of fear of inevitable heartbreak. You regard Isaak’s anxieties around falling hard and fast and realize they are your own. As you peruse your closet in search of the knockout ensemble that’ll catch the affections of whatever partner catches your eye, you’ve learned something about yourself you kind of wish you hadn’t.

1. “Time of the Season” by Zombies

As this gem starts, the thrumming bass and percussion make it as if you can feel your body move, almost of its own volition, toward that weathered fellow at the end of the bar. The song asks, “What’s your name? / Who’s your daddy? / Is he rich like me?” — and you think, “No, he’s not, and no, he hasn’t taken any time to show me what I need to live.” As you ponder these existential questions, falling into the arms of that silver fox, you come to the jarring realization that you really haven’t known what you need to live all this time. But at least they’re hot, maybe even loaded!

1. “Nights in White Satin” by Moody Blues

This hauntingly beautiful melody is dynamic, sweeping, sultry and dripping with sweet, sweet angst. “Nights in White Satin” reminds you of your most abject loneliness and begs you to drown your sorrows in the body of a stranger. The song is a pervasive ache, shouting at you in reminder that you just can’t get over that special someone, and maybe, you never will. As the Moody Blues croon the lines, “cause I love you / yes, I love you / oh, how I love you,” no one will blame you if you let loose a tear or two. If your new partner for the night asks, blame it on coital bliss.

Who said Valentine’s Day wasn’t for single folks? With these three bops in your arsenal, your Valentine’s can be as sexy and as sad as you want! And if neither of those things is up your alley, at least you got to listen to some truly beautiful pieces of music.

Contact Areyon Jolivette at [email protected] .