Fire at The Smokehouse restaurant due to grease in ventilation system

Google Maps/Courtesy

Related Posts

The Smokehouse — a burger joint on the corner of Telegraph Avenue and Woolsey Street — caught fire Thursday afternoon, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Berkeley Fire Department received a call about a possible fire at 5:31 p.m. Thursday and responded to the report with multiple engines and a paramedic ambulance, according to BFD spokesperson Keith May. According to May, BFD personnel brought the fire at The Smokehouse under control within 10 minutes of arriving on the scene.

The fire occurred in the kitchen area and where the hood system comes in contact with the roof, but didn’t damage other areas of the restaurant.

Only one person suffered minor injuries, but refused treatment and was not transported, May added.

The preliminary cause of the fire, according to May, was connected to accumulated grease in the hood or duct system — a part of kitchen ventilation directly over the cooking area. If not cleaned regularly, this system can catch fire, May said.

Sophia Brown-Heidenreich is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sophiabrownh.