Carjacking at gunpoint of delivery vehicle occurs near UC Berkeley campus

Google Maps/Courtesy

Updated 2/20/19: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from a Berkeley Police Department Nixle alert.

Updated 2/18/19: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from a UCPD Nixle alert.

Berkeley Police Department is investigating a carjacking at gunpoint at Hearst and La Loma avenues, according to Lt. Dave Lindenau.

The incident occurred Sunday at 7:45 p.m. near the Foothill residence hall. A food delivery driver left his car running to complete a delivery, returning to find a suspect sitting in his car, Lindenau said. When the victim went to confront the suspect, the man brandished a firearm at the victim and proceeded to drive off with the car. No one was hurt in the process.

According to a UCPD Nixle alert released Monday afternoon, the victim is not a UC Berkeley student.

Berkeley Police Department released the description of the suspect in a Wednesday evening Nixle alert. The alert said that the suspect is a mixed race male in his early 30s, about 6 feet tall, with a heavy build and has short hair. He was wearing a red and grey jacket at the time of the incident.

The stolen vehicle is a blue, 4-door, 2012 Mazda 3 with a California license plate 6UCG549.

Check back for updates.

Sophia Brown-Heidenreich is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sophiabrownh.