Pedestrian injured in car crash near North Berkeley Gourmet Ghetto

Google Maps/Courtesy

2/20/2019: This brief has been updated to include information from a Feb. 20 Nixle alert.

A pedestrian was taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland after being hit by a vehicle near Gourmet Ghetto in North Berkeley on Sunday evening, according to Berkeley Police Department Lt. Dave Lindenau.

BPD responded to reports of an injury accident Sunday at 7:39 p.m. after a car hit a pedestrian on the corner of Henry and Rose streets. The circumstances of the accident are currently unknown, Lindenau said.

The pedestrian, a 68-year-old man, was crossing Rose Street in the crosswalk when he was struck by a vehicle making a left turn from Henry Street to westbound on Rose Street. The man fell to the ground and was seriously injured, according to the alert.

Because of the severity of the pedestrian’s injuries, the Department’s Accident Investigation Team responded to the scene to investigate the collision.

Lindenau added that the pedestrian received “substantial injuries” but is in a stable condition. The driver, a 24-year-old man, stayed on the scene and cooperated with authorities, according to Lindenau.

Check back for updates.

Contact Sophia Brown-Heidenreich and Alexandra Casey at [email protected].href=”https://twitter.com/sophiabrownh”>@sophiabrownh.