‘Tis the sea-sun! Why you should already be thinking about summer plans

A bike on the beach, an airplane, and a person daydreaming
Ariel Lung/Staff

Even though summer seems a lifetime away, it’s time to figure out what you’re going to do for those three months. You don’t want to end up sitting on your couch watching Netflix the entire time. There are plenty of options out there — it’s just that the submission deadlines for them are coming up soon. So, here are some reasons why you should already be thinking about your summer plans (and some ideas on what those plans could be).

Deadlines are approaching for summer job/internship applications 

If you want a job or internship over the summer, check when the application deadlines are. Chances are, it’ll be right around now. This is the main reason to start thinking about your summer plans. At this point, it’s assumed that you should already know what your plans are — especially if they involve an internship or summer job. Apply to what you want and have a back-up plan just in case.

The portal for summer classes is open

These can be a decent back-up plan if your other summer plans fall through. The portal is open right now for you to choose which summer classes you want to take. It might seem like torture to go to school during summer break, but there are a few upsides. Use the summer sessions to quickly push through those prerequisites that you’ve been dreading. Classes don’t fill up as fast, so you can enroll in a class you wouldn’t be able to get otherwise. You may not get a break, but at least you’ll remove some stress from future semesters. 

You can set vacation plans in stone

Summer can also be a time to actually take a vacation. If that’s your plan, it might not feel like there’s a rush to set things in stone. It would be in your best interest, however, to get those things figured out now. Coordinating with people can ensure that there aren’t any conflicts that will cause the vacation to fall through. Make reservations as soon as you can because they might not be available later. By making plans now, you definitely won’t lose them in the future.

It’ll get your parents off your back

Maybe you want to just do nothing over summer break. Your parents, on the other hand, might be pressuring you to do at least something. So, if you don’t want them breathing down your neck, then come up with some summer plans. If you apply to a summer internship and don’t get in, you can always shoot back that you tried.

Summer’s a time to relax and do what you want to do. Scrambling for plans at the last minute will ruin that. There’s still plenty of time to figure out what you want to do, but it’s in your favor to get started as soon as possible. That way, you’ll be sure to make the summer the best that it can be!

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected].