4 robberies, 1 attempted robbery occur within 3 days in Berkeley

Google Maps/Courtesy

Four robberies and one attempted robbery occurred within the past three days in Berkeley, according to a community alert released by Berkeley Police Department Wednesday afternoon.

On Sunday at 8:25 p.m., a 25-year-old man was unloading his vehicle on the 1900 block of Center Street when two suspects — one man and one woman — approached the victim from behind. The male suspect pushed the victim against the car while the female suspect began emptying the victim’s pockets.

The suspects then knocked the man to the ground and rummaged through his vehicle for more items to steal. The suspects fled after others in the area saw what was happening and yelled that they were calling the police.

One suspect was described as a white male in his late teens or early 20’s, 6 feet to 6 feet, 4 inches tall, wearing a grey hooded top and black pants. The other suspect was described by witnesses as a Black female in her late teens or early 20’s, wearing a gray hooded top.

On Sunday at 9 p.m., a 30-year-old man was walking on Milvia Street near Parker Street when a group of four to five suspects attacked him from behind. The suspects punched the man in the back, knocking him to the ground, and continued to punch and kick him while one suspect took his wallet and cell phone from his pockets.

The suspects were described by witnesses as mostly male, with one female, wearing hooded tops. Their ages and races are unknown.

A 52-year-old woman was walking on the 2800 block of Adeline Street on Sunday at 9:10 p.m. when a group of four suspects approached her. One suspect grabbed the woman and threw her to the ground, but the woman fought off the suspect and they were unable to take her backpack. The suspects fled and were last seen running westbound on Oregon Street.

The first suspect was described as a white male in his late teens to 20’s, about 5 feet, 10 inches or taller with a small build, wearing a light colored jacket with a fur hood. The second suspect was described as a Black male in his late teens to early 20’s, about 5 feet, 8 inches tall with an average build, wearing a light-colored hooded top and sweats. The third was described as a Black male in his late teens to early 20’s, less than 5 feet, 8 inches tall, with a small build. The final suspect has no description as of press time.

On Monday at 4:40 p.m., a 33-year-old woman was walking on California Street near Channing Way when she was approached by four to five male suspects. The suspects pushed the woman to the ground and attempted to take her cell phone from her hand. Following a brief struggle, the suspects took the victim’s backpack and ran to a nearby vehicle.

Witnesses described the suspects as Black, wearing sweat pants and last seen driving away in a newer model 4-door vehicle.

On Tuesday at 7:12 p.m., a 21-year-old man was walking on Shattuck Square, between University Avenue and Berkeley Square, when he was surrounded by a group of five suspects. One suspect challenged the man to fight and took off his sweater like he was about to attack. The suspects then started punching the man’s face and he fell to the ground, after which the suspects took his cell phone.

The group then ran towards the UC Berkeley campus and were soon after detained by UC Police. UCPD detained three juveniles — a 15-year-old Berkeley male, a 15-year-old Georgia male and a 17-year-old Berkeley male — in the northwest quadrant of campus. Following witness identifications, the three juveniles were arrested on suspicion of robbery, conspiracy and resisting arrest.

Amanda Bradford is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @amandabrad_uc.