BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 19, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Suspects arrested in connection with Berkeley cellphone, laptop robberies, grand theft

DANIEL KIM | FILE

FEBRUARY 20, 2019

Berkeley Police Department arrested two 17-year-old Oakland males in connection with cellphone and laptop thefts and robberies, according to a BPD Nixle alert released Wednesday.

The first incident in which the two were allegedly involved occurred Jan. 11, when a suspect grabbed a phone out of the hands of a woman on the corner of Dwight and Martin Luther King Jr. Way.

On Jan. 17 and Jan. 22, the two suspects also allegedly snatched several laptops from victims at Sack’s Coffee House. In both cases the suspects grabbed the laptops of people sitting near the front door of the café.

Given witness descriptions, officers were able to identify the two suspects, arresting both on charges of robbery, grand theft and possession of stolen property on Jan. 24 and Feb. 16. The identity of the suspects cannot be disclosed under privacy laws protecting minors, according to the alert.

Check back for updates.

Sophia Brown-Heidenreich is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sophiabrownh.

FEBRUARY 20, 2019