Suspects identified in connection with Grizzly Peak Boulevard carjacking

Daniel Kim/File

2/20/2019: This article has been updated with information from UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Nicolas Hernandez.

UCPD has detained three suspects in connection with an armed carjacking off of Grizzly Peak Boulevard, according to a Nixle alert released Wednesday morning.

About 10:31 p.m. Monday, UCPD received a report of an incident in which four suspects allegedly robbed three victims of their vehicle and personal belongings near sign post No. 14, according to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Nicolas Hernandez.

The alert said one suspect reportedly held a firearm — discharging it into the air “to gain quick compliance” — while the other three suspects allegedly assaulted the victims, taking their phones and keys to the car. The suspects then drove off in both the victims’ car and their own vehicle — which they used to arrive at the scene.

One of the victims received minor injuries, according to the alert. None were UC Berkeley students.

UCPD subsequently began an investigation into the incident, tracking one of the victim’s phones to a location in Oakland and coordinating with the Oakland Police Department to detain one suspect. A more thorough investigation resulted in the detention and positive recognition of two additional suspects.

Emerson Diaz, a 19-year-old Oakland resident, was arrested on suspicion of carjacking, robbery and “willfully discharging a firearm in a grossly (neglectful) manner which could result in injury or death,” among other charges, according to Hernandez.

UCPD also found the victim’s carjacked vehicle in Oakland.

According to the alert, one of the four suspects is still being sought.

Check back for updates

Sophia Brown-Heidenreich is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sophiabrownh.