Quiz: Which 2019 Best Picture nominee are you?

Roll of film with scenes from Oscar nominated movies
Ashley Zhang/Staff

With the Academy Awards happening this Sunday, the big question that immediately comes to mind is: have you even watched any of the nominated films yet? If the answer is no, don’t be ashamed. It can be hard to find the time, let alone figure out which film to watch first. We at the Clog , however, have the perfect quiz to help you find out which best picture nominee is the ideal match for you.

1. It’s a rainy Saturday night and you’ve just completed all of your assignments. Which category of films on Netflix draws your attention?
    1. Action – something that’ll really pack a punch.
    2. Musical – just to lighten up my life a bit.
    3. Drama –  who can really get enough of it?
    4. Comedy-drama – I’m looking for a good mix of humor and seriousness.
  2. What’s your dream travel destination?
    1. Can’t really describe it … it’s otherworldly.
    2. Los Angeles – you never know when you’ll casually run into your favorite artist!
    3. Mexico (No… not just to recreate the cliché spring break vacation).
    4. Road trip to the South – I mean, nothing really beats the West Coast, but venturing across the entire U.S. is on my bucket list.
  3. Imagine you’re nominated for an Academy Award – who would you take as your plus one?
    1. Michael B. Jordan, duh!
    2. Lady Gaga, she’s my all-time favorite artist.
    3. My favorite family member, for helping me get through the good and the bad.
    4. I’d definitely bring my best friend – is that even a question?
  4. Which pair of movies describes your favorite directorial work?
    1. “Fruitvale Station” (2013), “Creed” (2015)
    2. I’m all for the classic “actor-turned-director” type of film – Clint Eastwood, Ben Affleck and George Clooney to name drop a few examples.
    3. “Y Tu Mamá También” (2001), “Gravity” (2013)
    4. “Dumb and Dumber” (1994), “There’s Something About Mary” (1998)
  5. What are your thoughts on movie soundtracks?
    1. Don’t cut corners! Bring all of the best rap and hip-hop artists in the game. If I’m not listening to it after the movie’s done, what’s the point?
    2. I appreciate a soundtrack that you can just belt out while you’re taking a shower.
    3. I like a mix of tempos to complement all of the stages of a film – everything from the calm moments to the intense scenes.
    4. There doesn’t need to be anything too crazy. Something that’s nice and soothing is all I need.
  6. Which of these time periods would you choose to study for your UC Berkeley historical breadth?
    1. Start from thousands of years ago and gradually make my way into the present
    2. Solely focus on the present day
    3. 1970s
    4. 1960s
  7.  
    1. You’re “Black Panther” This hit from Marvel is filled with plenty of action to keep you entertained. And the best part is, when you’re finished with the film, you can give a listen to its star-studded soundtrack.
    2. You’re “A Star is Born” — Although this movie doesn’t have an original plotline, who doesn’t love everything Lady Gaga touches? The love story between Gaga and Bradley Cooper will captivate you when you need a break from studying.
    3. You’re “Roma” If you’re not one for lighthearted comedies or obnoxious musicals, “Roma” surely delivers with tons of heartbreaking and warming scenes to make your night at Moffitt a lot more interesting.
    4. You’re “Green Book” What’s better than Mahershala Ali in “Moonlight?” Easy, Mahershala Ali in “Green Book.” Who knew the story of a Italian-American bouncer driving an African-American pianist from state to state for his tour could bring so many emotions?

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .